Use this SMART Goals Planning Template to help achieve your future goals, a few goal planning tips before we dive in:
- Describe It In Detail: As in describe how you’ll feel. You can use the SMART Goals framework below. But, I also recommend you give it some “color” – meaning, really paint the picture of what the goal looks like.
- Why Is This Important? This step is really important because it’s your driver/motivator for when things get tough (which they will).
- What Are 3 – 5 Key Actions, Drivers, Or Steps To Achieve This Life Goal? Now we get into some steps to success. Get clear on what needs to be done to make this goal a reality. This is where we get into the BEHAVIORS that will actually make the goal a reality. By the way, you likely won’t know all the steps; just focus on the NEXT steps.
- Who Can Help? THIS IS HUGE! Most great successes are not achieved alone. Figure out who you need to help you succeed.
- Break It Down. You don’t have to get really deep into the nitty-gritty here. Just determine what you can do in the next 72 hours, the first week, and the first month to get the ball rolling and create incremental progress.
So, let’s run an example through this goal planning template…
Let’s say after reviewing 2021 you’ve decided that in 2022 you’re going to reclaim sovereign control over your physical, mental, and emotional health. You want to lose weight, get stronger, and feel better.
Great! A SMART goals example related to that could be…
By December 31st, 2022, I will lose 15 pounds of excess fat and complete my first full push-up.
This may be important to you because you know you feel a lot more comfortable and confident at that weight, you want to fit better in your clothes and get back into some that no longer fit, and most importantly you realize the negative effects the excess belly fat is having on your health. Long-term, being active and vibrant as you age is very important to you. On top of that, you really don’t want to put your kids through the hell of taking care of you like you’re doing with your own poorly aging parents.
Next, you may identify that in order to make this a reality you need to:
- Workout an average of 3 days a week
- Eliminate processed foods and sodas from your diet
- Prioritize sleep
- Develop a stronger mindset
- Consistently take a multivitamin and fish oil
You may determine that the people who can help are your spouse, your best friend, and a coach/trainer.
So, now it’s time to break it down…
In the next 72 hours, you clean out and restock your refrigerator and pantry, as well as join a holistic fitness program with expert coaches and trainers.
In the first week, you can establish a new schedule that supports your sleep, exercise, and nutrition goals.
In the first month, you can work out 12 times.
There you have it.
Not just a random wish-washy goal but a SMART goal one with a solid plan to make it happen…
As we get ready to wrap up 2021, I hope you’ll carve out some time to set some fun and exciting life goals for 2022.
By the way, here are the categories I set future goals in:
- Health & Fitness
- Personal & Professional Growth
- Recreation & Fun
- Finances & Wealth
I also set leadership goals for my Business – as a whole and individual aspects of it.
You might also have a separate Family category. I include that in Recreation & Fun since it’s just Janell, Badger, and me. You might also have Faith/Spirituality. I usually include that in Personal Growth.
Now, if you’re new to goal setting, I’d recommend you pick just ONE goal for each category that’s important to you. That doesn’t mean you can’t or won’t achieve more. You just don’t want to end up “overwhelmed” with a bunch of goals where you end up doing nothing to move forward on any of them…
If you’d like some help with this or want to run your goals past me, I’d be happy to help. 🙂
And, if reclaiming sovereign control over your physical, mental, and emotional health, while losing weight, getting strong, and feeling better than ever is something you’d like to accomplish in 2022…
Have Faith & Take Action!