I have been OBSESSED with this salad for well over a year now!
We eat this salad at least once a week, and sometimes more. It goes great with our gluten free pizza on Saturday nights.
I’m kind of picky when it comes to salad greens. I prefer arugula or kale over spinach or romaine lettuce any day. So, the star of today’s recipe is kale.
Kale is a popular vegetable and a member of the cabbage family. It is a cruciferous vegetable like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, and Brussels sprouts.
There are many different types of kale. The leaves can be green or purple, and have either a smooth or curly shape. Curly kale is probably the most common and the one you have seen many times in the grocery store. This is the type that I prefer to saute, put in soups, or add to smoothies.
Lacinato (dinosaur) kale has flat leaves that have the texture of a reptilian hence the nickname dinosaur kale. This is the one that I prefer for salads. It can also be used in soups and stews.
10 Health Benefits of Kale
There are so many great benefits of kale… here are 10 great reasons to eat more of it:
- Kale is among the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. It is a good source of vitamin A, K, C, B6, as well as manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium.
- Kale is loaded with powerful antioxidants like quercetin and kaempferol. These flavonoids are antioxidants that help counteract oxidative damage by free radicals in the body.
- Kale is an excellent source of vitamin C. It contains 4.5 times as much vitamin C as spinach as well as more than a whole orange.
- Kale can help lower cholesterol, which may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Kale is one of the world’s best sources of vitamin K.
- Kale contains numerous cancer-fighting substances. It is loaded with compounds that can have protective effects against cancer. One of these is sulforaphane, a substance that has been shown to help fight the formation of cancer.
- Kale is very high in beta-carotene.
- Kale is a good source of hard to get minerals. It is high in minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium which some people are deficient in.
- Kale is high in lutein and zeaxanthin, powerful nutrients that protect the eyes.
- Kale will help you lose weight. It is low in calories and high in fiber which helps keep you full.
I hope you enjoy this delicious massaged kale salad – I apologize that I waited this long to share it with all of you!!
In Health & Happiness,