Do you celebrate your wins or just let them slide by and instead dwell on where you want to be? Are you always thinking ahead and dreaming big? Do you have a grandiose vision of the you that you want to become? It can be hard to celebrate your small wins and it may seem that you are so far from the finish line. On this episode, Justin and I explore the concept of the gap and the gain. This idea was a game changer for us and really helped us pull ourselves out of some pretty low lows. We’re positive that this information can completely change your mindset and help you become the best version of yourself.[bctt tweet=”Learn how to pull yourself out of a rut and #CelebrateYourWins on episode 10 of #TheTransformationShow” username=”justinyule”]
Outline of This Episode
- [1:22] What is the gap and the gain?
- [8:50] What is it like living with someone who is perpetually in the gap?
- [11:15] How to pull yourself out of the gap
- [18:36] Don’t compare yourself with others
- [22:35] 3 tips for those stuck in the gap
What are the gap and the gain?
We all have a vision of what our dream life is. Our ultimate goal is bigger than our everyday goals. We are all striving towards this ideal that is unique to each of us. We probably will never reach this goal since it changes as our vision gets bigger and bigger. The difference between where we are now and where we ultimately want to be is the gap. Unfortunately, some of us (including Justin!) focus on the gap entirely too much. What we often fail to see is the gain. The gain is the difference between where we were when we started our transformation and where we are now. Do you tend to focus on the gap in your goals or do you celebrate your gains?[bctt tweet=”Do you tend to focus on the gap in your #goals or do you celebrate your gains? Learn how to #CelebrateYourWins on this episode of #TheTransformationShow” username=”justinyule”]
What is it like living with someone who is perpetually in the gap?
It can be frustrating to live with someone that is always focused on their gap. They may be running around thinking the sky is falling, but you can help them to realize that it’s not. It is important to remain patient and understanding when dealing with someone who is in the gap. Understand that the person is behaving in a way that is ingrained. You can help a partner that is stuck in the gap by helping them recognize when he is in the gap. Sometimes your partner may even pull you into the gap. Listen to this episode to help you recognize when you or your partner is falling into the gap.
How to pull yourself out of the gap
Gratitude is a great way to help yourself climb out of the gap. But simple gratitude about life, in general, won’t help. Have gratitude for your accomplishments. You can learn to celebrate your wins by creating a system that shows your progress. We forget our wins so quickly that keeping track of them is key to understanding how far you have come. Another way to help pull yourself out of the gap is by setting goals. Setting new goals is another great way to get yourself moving forward. Looking at others doesn’t help. Comparing yourself with others can be quite harmful to you. Remember, you don’t know where they are on their transformation journey![bctt tweet=”Learn how to pull yourself out of the gap on this episode of #TheTransformationShow” username=”justinyule”]
3 tips for those stuck in the gap
- Recognize that there is a gap. It makes so much sense. The gap and the gain is such an important idea just realizing it you will help you to move forward.
- Write it down. Those small wins often go unnoticed or they become forgotten. Find a way to track your goals and celebrate them. You could create a win jar and watch it fill with all the small accomplishments you achieve each week. Learn to set goals and track your progress. This will help you to recognize and celebrate your wins.
- Remember to recognize relevant gratitude. This isn’t gratitude about life in general, this is gratitude about where you are in your journey and realizing how far you have come.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Dan Sullivan The Strategic Coach
- BOOK – The Gap and the Gain by Dan Sullivan
- BOOK – The Transformation Book by Justin and Janell Yule
- The 5-Minute Journal